F Artful Thursday – Stamped Wall Hanging Tutorial | tamdoll's workspace

Artful Thursday – Stamped Wall Hanging Tutorial

June 17, 2010

I’ve had this “Commandments” stamp for a while, and it’s always given me trouble when I use it on paper, so I thought I’d try fabric today. I had fabric remnants from curtain lining created years ago so thought this would be a great canvas to make a wall-art present for an upcoming Bat Mitzvah.

The image on the left was created when I placed the stamp face-down on the fabric in the “traditional” stamping method. The image on the right was created when I lay the fabric over the inked stamp and used a brayer to roll over the top.

Tamdoll stamping on fabric

Careful! Don’t let the fabric slip around.

Tamdoll Inking with Brayer

Next, I cut out squares of cotton quilt-batting for the backs:

Small pieces of cotton batting

I layered the quilt batting and another piece of white fabric behind each piece, then using the free-motion foot on my sewing machine and metallic thread, I outlined some of the images that I stamped.

Free Motion Quilting Metallic Threads

I kept going back, adding more details, then beads to make the image pop. I'm enjoying the mixed-media approach to art, I can incorporate all the things I love to do!

Completed Bat Mitzvah Mixed Media

After I was satisfied with all the beads and quilting, I sewed a piece of sturdy wool felt to the back of the piece and added grommets to hold a hanger. Taking a tip from one of Paper Bird’s Artful Thursday tutorials, I used wire and beads to create a hanger.

Mazel Tov

On the back I embroidered the Hebrew words “Mazel Tov” - which translates to Good Luck, and is used as a “Congratulations”. I was glad to make this for a friend’s daughter and I hope she enjoys this unique piece!

Happy Artful Thursday.

Artful   Thursdays

2 comments:

  1. hey girl - this is way cool. I love the stamped image and the sewing - great job. I did some sewing this week for my artful thursday - still NO zippers but way cool end product. check it out when you have a chance

    xo
    tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I love multimedia crafts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top