Thursday, March 4, 2010

Artful Thursday – Ideas Come Alive

tiny purse I had an idea to make an apron for a friend.  A 50’s, retro-inspired, domestic-diva-type creation.  Then I said to myself…. “she won’t wear it…” … so I thought, I’ll make it into a handbag.

ideas (Original handbag idea is on the blue scrap of paper – I keep lots of recycled paper around for these things.)

Then I thought…. “who’s going to carry around a bag like that?”…. so decided to make a little clutch-purse.  Great idea!   You can see some of my drawings and then I cut one out of paper to use as a template.

Next step – dig out the inspiration fabric – you can see here, I found a sleeve – from some vintage fabric I had -

fabric  (Oh no! Don’t use the vintage fabric on a prototype! … Too late…)

Cut out the pattern pieces out of stiff interfacing (I wanted the shape to hold up) and ironed it onto the wrong side of the fabric:iron-on interfacing

Cut out about 1/4” around the pieces and pinned it to lining fabric (remnants from curtain lining) to use as a cutting template:

cut out and cut out lining

Next few steps, I forgot to take pictures ….  I made a little embellishment for the front of the pouch and sewed that on.  Then I basted black piping to one side of the outer fabric before sewing front and back together.  I also sewed the lining fabric together and realized that the 4” zipper I had for this wasn’t going to fit.  So, I added snaps to the lining then slipped it inside the pouch.  snaps inside Once that was done, I used some bias binding to cover up the raw edges at the top and create a carry-strap.  Done!

finished!

As you can see, it needs a little work – stitching on the embellishment on the front went a little wonky and I’d like to make one wider at the top to insert a zipper. 

I think this method – of  a stiff interfacing - would lend itself to making little purses with definite shapes.  I’m thinking of a cupcake, a house and another apron.  I have a bunch of white and tan 4” zippers, so that’s what I’m going to work with – searching in my fabric stash for some coordinating fabrics.

What shape would you make?

Read more about Artful Thursdays and visit the other participants here:ArtfulThursday

7 comments:

  1. I think that is such a cute idea. I love the idea of the cupcake. If you make one, make sure you show us a pic. I love all your sketches too. A true artist at work. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I love the way this came to be. Love seeing your steps and drawings and all the good stuff. You are so talented. I am not much of a sewer ---- seam binding and zippers...not my specialty.

    Anyway - I would love a purse like this.

    XO
    tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the food-item theme. Perhaps I'd make a bag that looks like a slice of pizza if I wasn't so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this turned about really cute! I'm sure your friend will be delighted to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!
    I think the pizza idea is great, too.

    I have to work on my skills for sewing a zipper on with my machine - I do want to keep working on this project to get the zipper to fit, but I might do the zipper by hand - and not risk messing it up too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cute.

    A great idea for sure!


    Hello Fellow EtsyBlogger!
    I am now following your blog,
    If you'd like to follow me back
    http://lizswares.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years ago before I started making bags, I bought a le coq sportif bag which looks like a tennis skirt. So an apron pouch is not totally out of my universe. And do people ever wear aprons?

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment or connect with me online? Then please visit me at my new website: http://www.tamdoll.com. Thanks!