A pile of buttons, but none the color blue that I need. So, I got to work making lemonade out of lemons and:
- threw them into a glass bowl,
- covered them with blue food coloring and a splash of water,
- cleaned up the blue that landed all over my counter,
- covered it tightly with plastic wrap*
- put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Rinsed and wala! Blue buttons.
I think the saturation and scratches that show up are probably due to age, I have no idea how long these buttons have been in the bag or what they’re made of (picked them up from a grandma at a yard sale). But the variegation adds some interest to these and I think they’ll come in handy in future projects. Turns out they’re not the color I’m looking to work with the birds I’m making, so will set them aside for now.
*which I would never do with food, but plastic buttons are “okay”.